I was at the #BizExpo2016 in the Citywest and accidentally came across Donna Kennedy (@donnakennedycom) speaking on Mindset, in a corner, while I was waiting on a colleague to stop talking to a beautiful woman. And I was glad it was a long conversation.
I was familiar with the name Donna Kennedy, but no idea why. What she then went on to say, other than her own story, was nothing new, as such. But it did make me think about what was missing in my quest for independence and for the life I want, as oppose to the life I don’t want! Apologies if I have not got the detail right:
She asked did we think we were different to the likes of Richard Branson, did we believe we could achieve? I quickly scribbled down the check list she went through (my thoughts in brackets!):
- Decide what you want
- WHY do you want it? (Ask Why? Why? until you get to your real why!)
- Put a Plan in place (with S.M.A.R.T. -Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time bound, goals and objectives)
- Model (Who has done what you want?)
- Accountable (did you do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it?)
- Feedback (what worked, what didn’t work, what needs to be changed in the plan)
- MASTERMIND (this is where I realised I had a gap. As Donna said, you are the average of the five people you spend most time with. Since the dog is with me now, I need to look at this, but thankfully, I am rid of one person and one company).
- Give more than you take (help others)
- Show Appreciation
- Make a solid impact
- What would your results be if you were not afraid?
- Create Moments with people that matter (Pat took his time to get her some water, there may be a moment there!).
So thank you Donna, I needed to be reminded. You fought through the background noise and reminded me of my path and what was missing.